This is a guide to help you upgrade your phone with the help of an AOSP based Hydrogen OS based Android Oreo. Even though Xiaomi Mi Max was announced last year by Xiaomi, it had Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow out of the box and was later updated to Android 7.0 Nougat. There’s no news of the next upgrade yet so if you can’t wait any longer to upgrade your phone follow this guide.
Before Getting Started
- This ROM is compatible only with Mi Max Hydrogen (it might work on Helium also). DO NOT try to install this on any other model.
- This ROM is still under early development stage. So, you may encounter bugs and issues.
- Have a backup of your phone’s important data.
- Charge your phone up to 60% so that it doesn’t die on you during the installation process.
- TWRP custom recovery should be installed. (Complete Guide)
Updatedmob.com will not be held responsible for any damage occurred to your Xiaomi Mi Max during or after the rooting process. Proceed at your risk.
Install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi Mix [Hydrogen AOSP]
- Download Android 8.0 AOSP ROM – Download
- Patch for Buttons – Download(Flash this only if button won’t work)
- Connect your device to PC using a USB cable and copy the download package.
- Now you need to turn your mobile off and boot into Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold “Volume Down + Power Button” together.
- From recovery main menu, perform Nandroid backup of your device to be on safer side, if anything goes wrong.
- Next, you need to do a Factory Reset by following the path Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Wipe cache, Dalvik cache, System, and data and swipe to confirm it.
- Head back to main menu and tap on ‘Install’. Here you need to choose the ROM zip file and swipe to start the installation process.
- Once done, you need to wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device.
- And we’re done!